Get matched with thousands of Christian singles — for FREE

Join now

Can Satan be forgiven?

ForumBible talk

26 – 49 of 49    Go to page:  Previous  1  2Post reply

  • CHAD752

    May 12, 2016

    The Question is moot. We already know that Satan won't ever repent.  Theoretically, he could repent at any time, but he has chosen, is choosing, and will choose to continue to live against God. God didn't have to reveal the knowledge that Satan won't repent to us, but I am thankful that He did give us that added insight.

    Could Satan repent? Yes.

    Will Satan repent? No.

  • May 12, 2016

    I think this short article by Matt Slick, from the Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry, quoted below[1], is relevant:

    CARM wrote:

    Will God let the fallen angels and Satan repent?

    It is not an issue of whether or not God will let the fallen angels and Satan repent. When we say "let them repent," it implies that God will allow them or give them permission to change their ways. It also implies that they might actually want to change. But the problem is that the demonic forces will never want to repent of their sin. In their rebellion, they became evil. Evil is the opposite of God's holiness. It is the desire to do that which is against God, to inflict pain and suffering, and to have extreme malice towards anyone. Out of such a fallen state, no good can come. Therefore, it is not possible for the demonic realm to repent because they will never want to.

    Furthermore, there is no atoning sacrifice by which sins of the demonic realm could be removed. We, as people, have the atoning sacrifice of Jesus who is God in flesh (John 1:1, 14) and who bore our sins in His body and the cross (1 Peter 2:24). He is the propitiation, the sacrifice that turns away the wrath of God (1 John 2:2). The Scriptures clearly teach us what Jesus did for us. But, there is no Scriptural support for the idea that the atonement covers the demonic realm.

    [1]  carm.org/will-god-let-the-fall ... nd-satan-repent

    May 12, 2016 updated by XRAY948

  • CLIFTON291

    May 20, 2016

    The bible says that all one has to do is ask for forgiveness, so I guess he could do so.

  • May 21, 2016

    CLIFTON291 wrote:

    The bible says that all one has to do is ask for forgiveness, so I guess he could do so.

    Hi Clifton, what you're saying applies to humans only. The Bible never indicates that Angels have this option available to them. Forgiveness is available to us because of the atoning sacrifice Jesus made for us when he become our kinsman redeemer.

    Hebrews 9:22 makes it clear that "without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins." (my emphasis).

    In addition to Hebrews, I think this has been reasonably well-documented in previous posts. However, if you think otherwise, then I'm sure everyone would appreciate if you could provide Biblical support for the claims. As Christians, we're supposed to do that. Otherwise, we'd only be looking at a conflict of arbitrary and subjective opinions that lack justification.. like discussing whether vanilla ice cream is "better" or "tastier" than chocolate ice cream, etc. We're called to do better than that.:up:

  • JAMES258

    July 11, 2016

    To deny the possibility is to deny the omnipotence of God

  • CHARLEAN034

    July 25, 2016

    Satan will never ever repent!!!

  • BRYCE585

    August 10, 2016

    I believe from being a preacher myself... No, because once you a separated from God it's too late for you. He was banished from heaven and there for God separated from him so he could live in sin.

  • August 25, 2016

    I'm surprised with how many people have actually missed the point of the question in their responses. Some have responsed along the lines that Satan would never repent.

    While that is true, it's irrelevant. The original question was not: "Will Satan ever repent?" The actual question was bascially saying: "Hypothetically assuming that Satan actually chose to repent, would God actually forgive him?"

    Of course, the answer is no because, as documented in previous posts, without blood (i.e. a sacrifice) there's no remission (i.e. forgiveness) of sins. Since Jesus only sacrificed himself for mankind/humans, that means there's no sacrifice that can allow Satan or any other fallen angel to be redeemed at any point, so God cannot forgive Satan because God would need to go against his very own non-contradictory nature to do it (i.e. God would have to contradict himself), which is not possible.

    Since there's no sacrifice to take his place, he has to pay for the consequences directly. It looks somewhat similar to how people who rejected Jesus' sacrifice will end up, with no one to take their place as "guilty" when judgment time comes.

    BRYCE585 wrote:

    I believe from being a preacher myself... No, because once you a separated from God it's too late for you.

    Humans are also separated from God for the same reason: sin. Your comment incorrectly implies that it's too late for humans also. This might not be what you intended to communicate, but it's implied there.

    As a preacher, you should be even more careful about what you're trying to say, and make it even more of a point to show proper Biblical support for your point.

    August 25, 2016 updated by XRAY948

  • SUNSHINE414

    August 25, 2016

    XRAY948 A brilliant biblical spiritual guidence of the truth. I am a past Pastor and I was impressed how correctly you answered what I would call a pretty easy question to answer and probably not a question I would waste too much time pondering on. To simply add an emphatic biblical scripture to also backup and support all XRAY948 has already said:-  Matthew 25:40-41 "And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Then he shall say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: ......" Read all chapter 25 for the total context and understanding as this is always wise. Everlasting fire is prepared for the devil and his angels. Prophetically it is going to happen so of course pure evil is never forgiven. Satan is the father of lies.

  • SUNSHINE414

    August 26, 2016

    Joshua738 Satan is NOT like a person. He is a fallen angel out to rob, kill and destroy. He dose NOT have a personality.  Satan is pure evil and as many have painstakingly said the devil will live for eternity in everlasting fire, hell. His destiny has been pre-determined. God does not lie. You need to read your bible to understand. To me someone is stirring the pot on a ridiculous topic not worthy of even entertaining.

    You are all just going round and round in circles. The next 200 posts will be exactly the same. Find a topic of worthy discussion. Do not cast your pearls before swine.

  • August 27, 2016

    SUNSHINE414 wrote:

    To me someone is stirring the pot on a ridiculous topic not worthy of even entertaining.

    I think you make many valid points and are definitely correct in stating that people need to read their Bibles to understand, something not that many seem to be doing here. OTOH I also think we're expected to deal with the questions that other people may have (1 Peter 3:15), rather try to tell others whether their questions are "important enough" to even bring up.

    I can't say I was too happy whenever a pastor tried to tell me that my questions were "unimportant side-issues", to then turn around and ignore their own arbitrary criteria to determine what a "side-issue" was supposed to be, according to them. (e.g. If it was not related to salvation, it was a "side-issue", but then they'd turn around and preach on escathology and other topics without applying the same "criteria").

    Jesus never tried to tell others how "important" or "unimportant" their questions and/or concerns were, though, like you, he'd communicate the expectation that people are supposed have read and understood the revelation already available to them, often starting his response with the phrase "have you not read _____?". So we probably need to do better than that.

    That being said, I always wondered why the original post claimed to simply be "looking for different answers", as if there weren't enough in the Bible on the topic already. Oh well. :-/

  • August 31, 2016

    This is Just my opinion and I am willin to be corrected.

    Hell was made for the devil and his angels. And the Bible clearly says that the ruler of this world has already been judged. And Satan and his angels and even many humans WILL  be cast into hell.

    However from whatever knowledge  I have of Satan -   I would expect satan to be smart enough to realize that he has no hope and the best option for him is to repent even  inspite of knowing that God has already passed jjudgement on him and that he WILL go to hell. But Still I would advice him to  accept Jesus as God, Owner and ruler and the one with all authority over the universe and to praise God and repent og his ways ( sounds funny ? may be !!)  and you  never know what might happen !

    Ninevah was also told that they would be destroyed in 40 days by jonah but God changed his mind. And yes there is no sacrifice for the fallen angels or  the devil but God can always provide - dont forget that God is the one who provided a way to forgive criminals wihout Compromising  justice !

  • SUNSHINE414

    September 6, 2016

    Xray 948 I have to disagree. The next post shows the topic is still going around in circles. People have had the same scripural answers on here over and over again. Nothing new has been brought to the table. The bible is very clear in Revelation not to add to or take away from this book the bible. It is dangerous potential biblical doctrine to say Satan can be forgiven. I maintain this topic is not worthy of the discussion it brings. I have seen some disturbing answers. There is nothing in the bible about forgiveness for Satan and demons. Come on get real. You have already said your piece multiple times but no-one is listening. Some subject topics are dangerous like this and some are worthy of out time. It is unwise of you to perpetuate this.

    September 6, 2016 updated by SUNSHINE414

  • September 6, 2016

    SUNSHINE414 wrote:

    Xray 948 I have to disagree. The next post shows the topic is still going around in circles. People have had the same scripural answers on here over and over again. Nothing new has been brought to the table. The bible is very clear in Revelation not to add to or take away from this book the bible. It is dangerous potential biblical doctrine to say Satan can be forgiven. I maintain this topic is not worthy of the discussion it brings. I have seen some disturbing answers. There is nothing in the bible about forgiveness for Satan and demons. Come on get real. You have already said your piece multiple times but no-one is listening. Some subject topics are dangerous like this and some are worthy of out time. It is unwise of you to perpetuate this.

    The thing is that I think you're right in basically everything you're pointing out. I'm often naive, to put it "nicely", in thinking that people will try to put at least half the effort into trying to understand what I wrote as I put into writing it, even though my own experience continually shows the opposite to be true...

    That's why I've stopped responding to posts that simply make baseless assertions without any sort of Biblical references and/or justification, b/c trying to have a discussion with someone who has an unargued philosophical bias (read: uninformed opinion) and has clearly not even bothered to do the most elementary amount of homework (as if it were somehow "difficult" to do in this day and age), or at least shows no credible evidence of having done so, is a complete time sink -time I could be spending in some of my engineering projects. So, I think you're right in that.

    Still, even Jesus had to address some old topics once or twice before moving on to something else (which I already did here, I think), and often rebuked people who were supposed to know better before actually providing a response. For example, he often began his responses to the Pharisees in public with "Have you not read...?", which was actually insulting to the Pharisees b/c they were experts in the Law/Scriptures and read them every day. Not that it was wrong of Jesus to do that, but a lot of people miss it. (You can read more about Jesus' use of "challenge-riposte" at www.tektonics.org/lp/madmad.php if interested.)

    So, while it may be true that some topics are not exactly the best picks for social gatherings or the like, I think what's more dangerous is to have a reasonable degree of certainty in the Biblical justification for the answer you have to a set of questions/concerns, and still choose to leave people in ignorance. ("My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge [...]" -Hosea 4:6). OTOH, I don't forget that "we who teach will be judged with greater strictness." -James 3:1. However, if the belief in the Perspicuity of the Scriptures holds true (which I think it does), then I think we have good reason, and almost a moral obligation, to make a case -at least once. That's probably the only reason why I originally responded here.

    In my case, when I had questions of my own, I thought it pretentious from other Christians, often Pastors, when they tried to tell me that my questions where "not important" or "not worthy of discussion" or "unimportant side-issues". Under what Biblical criteria, exactly? None, to the best of my knowledge, since they never bothered to explain that. I'd often hear "It's not a salvation issue", but if that's the criteria, then why not apply it to the rest of the Bible? We could easily reduce our entire Bible to a single verse: John 3:16. (BTW, I'm not saying this is what you're doing to me; it's only some background on why I tend to react differently on this.)

    Whether they truly believed that they were unimportant, and intentionally refused to answer my questions on that basis, or were simply ignorant and were trying to "save face" when they could've easily said "I don't know" is now irrelevant to me, but I can't really point to an example where Jesus treated his follower's concerns as "unimportant" or laid out some criteria by which to make such a determination...

    Funnily enough, those same Pastors would then turn around and discuss other topics (e.g. eschatology, prophesy, etc.) that they should've easily added to the same "unimportant" group, had they bothered to apply their arbitrary criteria consistently. Ultimately, it seems that whether a topic is "important" or not has always been an arbitrary human distinction (like choosing vanilla over chocolate ice cream) and I don't see a good reason to follow the pattern.

    That being said, I still agree with you in that repeating myself ad-infinitum in front of a deaf crowd is quite silly of me, to put it "nicely". Ultimately the fact that, like the Pharisees, some people here are "not listening" and that "nothing new has been brought to the table" (e.g. Ecclesiastes 1:9) as you point out, is on them, not on those that have already spent their time/effort, even more than I ever will, in correcting misconceptions (2 Tim 3:16).

  • FAITH953

    September 11, 2016

    I'm glad that y'all took the time to answer this question. To me it sounds so ridiculous...ofcourse satan can not be forgiven. The Lord condemned him long before the earth even existed. I believe that the Lord God decided to make humans because a third of the angels rebelled and failed Him.

    He said let's make men in our image and after our likeness. Praise the Lord!

    The illuminati and their followers, like Chris Brown, are deceived by the devil and think that he can be forgiven. But the Lord already prepared hell for satan and his followers...they're doomed forever!!!

  • September 30, 2016

    Forgiveness and Grace of God is only extended to Human Beings only,  and not demons or angels. Christ came to die for mankind,  not angels or any other spiritual beings. So there is no forgiveness for satan and his demons.

  • LOURDES709

    October 22, 2016

    Well, Satan has already being judge, he´s only waiting for his sentence to be aply.

  • AMY478

    February 17

    Revelation gives the prophecy of Satan's outcome given to John as an account on behalf of Jesus Christ.

    Satan has been told since the beggining of time what will happen and we must remind him of that when he comes against us with attack.

    Don't you know that Jesus already said he is to be locked up for 1000 years. Wow just imagine what that would be like? No Satan for 1000 years.

    Then he must be released again and finally destroyed.

    If it were so, the bible would be fake and the account of Jesus Christ in revelation would be a lie.

  • AMY478

    February 17

    This is an interesting thread and I guess it calls for more people to take time to read the word of God exercise faith and trust greater in Jesus Christ.

  • April 8

    When the Lord created men and women in His image, He did so in order to have Covenant relationship with. The Angelic hosts on the other hand were created to serve God. All the intelligent beings God created were given free will. The reason for this is that you cannot make somebody love you or worship you, this would be amount to slavery or building a robot or an automaton. God didn't want that. But God knew that when you give an intelligent being free will, it can choose to hate you. This is what happened to Lucifer. Because he had the anointed position that covered the Throne of God, he saw himself in a higher position than the Lord. When he saw the special way in which He created mankind, I think that may have also led to jealousy. The Bible says that Lucifer was perfect before iniquity was found in him.

    Most scholars believe that the angels were created on day one. We know that Adam and Eve were created on day 6. The Bible does not say how long Adam and Eve were in the garden, how long after being created they sinned, when they had Cain and Abel, how old they were when they brought their sacrifices, or when Abel was killed. The only date given after the creation is when Adam has Seth and that is when he is 130 years old. So that gets quite some time from the end of the creation week, to Adam's 130 year of creation for Lucifer to rebel. Adam and Eve could have been in the garden 20 years or even 40 years before they sinned. They could have had Cain and Abel several years after that, and Cain and Abel could have been 20 years old or much more before they made their offerings. The Bible says that Satan was in the garden of God and seems to point to that being a place when he made his decision to rebel. The Bible tells us that the Plan of Redemption for mankind was already known before the foundation of the world. The Lord knew mankind would fall and already had set into motion the redemption. This redemption does not include the angelic hosts and this is well explained in the first two chapters of Hebrews. The angels didn't even understand this plan of God. It is because of this it's Satan does not have redemption. And Satan didn't just try to overthrow God one time, before he is cast into the Lake of Fire, he will have made several attempts. The first one when he tried to overthrow God at his throne. He was kicked out of the Lord's temple, but still had access to the outer courtyard, as you see in the first two chapters of Job. In Revelation he will make a second insurrection, and it is at this point that he will be kicked out of the heavenlies entirely and confined to the Earth. This is when he unleashes his wrath on man particularly the woman in Revelation, which is composed of both Jew and Gentile believers. He will then set up an Earthly throne and claim to be God. At the second coming, Satan will fight with Christ for supremecy, but will again lose and be bound in chains for a thousand years in the bottomless pit. And if that's still not enough after the thousand years are over, he attempts yet another insurrection which is put down quickly as he is cast into Lake Fire. Satan will always be a rebel, he is not interested in God's love or forgiveness, even if it would have been granted to him. This goes the same for the other angels and those who reject God. They will never want God's love they will never want God's forgiveness. The biggest and number one sin that get you damned is pride. Even if God were to allow these angels and people into heaven, they would cause disruption and chaos. God would have to wipe out their free will, which would no longer make them sentient. And doing so with little e Force God to change His core being doing so.

  • FAITH257

    April 8

    God is capable of forgiving the Devil.  

    But it demands:

    1. Desire to be with God and part of his glorious heaven.

    2. Repent about the mistakes committed  deliberately. Devil challenged God and acted as his enemy. Devil also misguided many people away from God by tempting them through many ways.  

    3. Repentance is essential for forgiveness from God.  

    4. Decision about not to sin and being with God in future.  This decision may fail, but that is not a reason for not taking a decision.

    If Devil is not forgiven by God it is because it could not achieve these.  

    So basically Devil do not want to leave his current ways and means.

  • April 26

    Ephesians 1:7
    In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace

    As stated before he has fallen and his angels, they have already been judged. I think we should focus on Christ and not the enemy so much, he loves it when people talk about him, huge ego problem.

    <3

  • SCOTT278

    May 2

    It is true that God forgives in response to repentance,not that Satan can or ever will repent.I believe that Satan's fate was sealed the very moment of sinful pride.Notice the corresponding outcome with the change in Lucifer's character(and purpose).Isaiah 14 and Ezekiel 28.

    SELMA483 wrote:

    Can GOD forgive satan if  he decided to bow down and repent from his wickedness?  I m looking for different answers

  • May 11

    Satan hates the very appearance of God, therefore he has set his destination toward eternal condemnation. Just as pharaoh Harden his heart and the spirit of God left him the same with King Saul. They hardened their hearts towards God and his will, therefore the spirit of God left them simply saying they have no chance of repentance. The Bible clearly tells us that there is no forgiveness for those who blaspheme against the Holy Spirit. Now the devil blasphemed not only against God the Father nor God the Son but also against the Holy Spirit therefore his chance are done away with.

26 – 49 of 49    Go to page:  Previous  1  2Post reply